Article I. Name
The name of the organization is AERA Division L Educational Policy and Politics
Article II. Affiliation
Division L is a division of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) and, as such, members of Division L pay annual dues to AERA and participate as active members of AERA.
Article III. Governing Authority
Division L is governed by the Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation of AERA. Division L s Bylaws shall not conflict with the Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation of AERA or policies adopted by the AERA Council.
Article IV. Purpose
The purpose of Division L is:
1. To provide a national forum for the dissemination and discussion of research that advances understanding of how established policy effects educational organizations, the students and educators they serve and the societies in which they exist, and how policy is formulated, enacted and implemented
2. To provide mentoring and networking opportunities for students and junior faculty entering the policy field.
Article V. Membership
Section 1. Membership Eligibility
AERA members may select membership in Division L provided they are current members of AERA.
Section 2. Membership Dues
Each member shall pay annual membership dues in accordance with the Bylaws, policies, and practice of AERA.
Article VI. Officers
The elected officers of Division L are the Vice President and Secretary. Only voting members of AERA and Division L may hold elective offices.
Section 1: Terms of Office
1. The term of office of the Vice President shall be three years (or as modified or designated within the bylaws of AERA).
2. The term of office of the Secretary shall be two years (or as modified or designated within the bylaws of AERA).
3. The Vice President shall not be eligible for immediate re-election.
4. The Secretary shall not be eligible for immediate re-election.
5. Terms of office shall begin the day following the close of the AERA Annual Meeting (or modified as designated in the AERA Bylaws).
6. If a Vice President or Secretary is unable to take office within one month of the Annual Meeting, the positions shall be filled as specified below.
Section 2: Appointment of Replacement
1. If the Secretary is unable to complete a term of office, the Vice President of Division L, in consultation with the Executive Committee, shall appoint a replacement to serve until the next AERA election. At that time a replacement shall be elected to serve out the remainder of the term.
Section 3: Officer Duties
The Vice President shall:
1. Call and conduct the annual business meeting of Division L held in conjunction with the annual meeting of AERA.
2. Represent Division L and its interests as a full voting member at AERA Council meetings.
3. Serve as Council liaison to standing committees(s) as designated by the AERA President.
4. Communicate the perspectives and ongoing needs of Division L to the AERA Council, AERA Executive Board, and Executive Director.
5. Represent Division L and its interests by serving as liaison to other AERA Divisions and to SIGS and to other educational organizations and institutions.
6. Submit an annual report on the status of the division to the membership through the Central Office of AERA.
7. Present an annual report on the state of the division to the membership at the annual division business meeting.
8. After consultation with the committee chairs and Executive Committee of the Division, develop and monitor the operating budget of Division L, to be administered under the authority of the Executive Director of AERA.
9. Deliver a Vice Presidential Address, usually in the final year of term.
10. In consultation with the Division L Executive Committee, make appointments to divisional committees and to AERA standing committees on which there are divisional representatives such as the AERA Graduate Student Council and the Affirmative Action Council.
11. Serve as chair of the Division L Executive Committee.
12. Serve as an ex officio member of all Division L committees.
13. Be responsible for activities that will further the goals of Division L.
14. Keep Division L membership informed on an ongoing basis through the Division L Newsletter and other communication channels that might be available.
15. Assure transfer of Division L records and information to the incoming Vice President and Secretary.
16. Continue to serve on the Division L Executive Committee as Immediate Past Vice President.
17. As Vice President-elect, serve as a member of the Executive Committee.
18. Appoint a Program Chair or Program Co-Chairs each year.
The Secretary shall:
1. Maintain all minutes and records of the Division.
2. Serve on the Division L Executive Committee.
3. Transfer the division records to the incoming Vice President and the incoming Secretary.
4. Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President in consultation with the Division L Executive Committee.
Article VII. Nominations and Elections
Nominations for Vice President and Secretary shall be solicited from the voting members of the division by the Nominating Committee. The names of at least two nominees who have given their consent in writing must appear on the ballot for any divisional office. Other nominations for any office can be made in accordance with AERA Bylaws (Article VII Section 2). The elections of the Vice President and Secretary shall be conducted by AERA in keeping with the procedures adopted for the election of AERA officers (Article VII).
Article VIII. Committees
Most committees will function with a chair and volunteer members. All committee members must be AERA and Division L members in good standing. The terms of membership for all standing committees shall be for three years with staggered terms and shall begin the day following the Association Annual Meeting. Each year the Vice President shall solicit volunteers for service on the various committees using e-mail, division listserv, division newsletters, the annual business meeting, and other means of communications. The Vice President shall attempt to get broad representation based on gender, race, profession, and length of time in the profession. All committees shall submit an annual report to the membership.
Division L has the following standing committees:
1. Executive Committee
2. Nominating Committee
3. Affirmative Action Committee
4. Program Committee
5. Mentoring Committee
6. Awards Committees
7. Graduate Student Committee
8. Ad Hoc Committees, as needed
Section 1: Executive Committee
2. Serve as an advisory group to the Vice President.
3. Make recommendations to Division L membership within limits set forth in these Bylaws.
4. Review on an annual basis the nature and quality of all Division activities, including annual meeting program, newsletter, and membership activities.
5. Advise on establishing ad hoc committees.
6. Meet at least once each year, usually during the Association Annual Meeting. Additional meetings may be called by the Vice President or upon petition of a majority of Executive Committee Members.
7. Membership: Vice President, immediate past Vice President, Secretary, Affirmative Action Officer, Committee Chairs, and incoming Vice President or Secretary.
8. Officers: The Vice President shall be chair of the Executive Committee. The Secretary will serve as Vice Chair.
9. Quorum: Two-thirds of the members of the committee shall constitute a quorum. Unless otherwise specified by the Bylaws, advisory decisions shall be by a majority of those participating.
Section 2: Nominating Committee
1. Functions: Recommend candidates for offices of Vice President and Secretary. The specific responsibilities of this committee are described under Nominations and Elections.
2. Membership: Membership shall consist of a chair and two members. In addition, the chair of the Affirmative Action Committee shall also serve as a voting member of the Nominating Committee. The chair and two members are appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee to serve during the three-year term of the Vice President.
Section 3: Affirmative Action Committee
1. Functions: Increase and broaden the scope of Division L membership. The chair will serve as Affirmative Action Officer and represent the Division on the AERA Affirmative Action Council.
2. Membership: Membership shall consist of a chair plus three members . The Affirmative Action Committee will have one representative on the Program Committee, each Awards Committee, and the Nominating Committee. Members are appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee to serve during the three-year terms with a new member appointed each year.
Section 4: Program Committee
a) Solicit, plan, and monitor the Division L program of scholarly presentations at the Association Annual Meeting.
b) Encourage submissions from a broad range of researchers and to encourage member participation and professional
c) Coordinate peer review process and develop the program
d) Work with other divisions and SIGs to co-sponsor sessions.
e) Plan Division L social activities such as a reception during the Association Annual Meeting.
f) Provide the Vice President with a summary program report 90 days after the Association Annual Meeting.
2. Membership: A Chair will be appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee. The Vice President and the Program Chair will select members of the Program Committee, except that one member will be a representative of the Affirmative Action Committee.
Section 5: Mentoring Committee
1. Functions: Provide mentoring opportunities for Division members related to both career and dissemination of scholarly work. Provide mechanisms for generating ideas for publications. Coordinate mentoring events related to the Association Annual Meeting and at other occasions as needed.
2. Membership: Membership shall consist of a chair, and at least two additional members. Members are appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee to serve during the three-year term of the Vice President.
Section 6: Awards Committees
1. Functions: Division L confers AERA-sanctioned awards to recognize outstanding research and related contributions of interest to Division L. Award Committees develop mechanisms for identifying and reviewing potential recipients, including, soliciting nominations from the membership. In addition, Award Committees review nominations and select award recipient.
2. Membership: Membership of each committee shall consist of a chair and least four additional members, including one representative from the Affirmative Action Committee. Chairs are appointed annually by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee. Members are appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the committee chairs, except that one member shall come from the Affirmative Action Committee.
Section 7: Graduate Student Committee
1. Functions: Oversee the primary graduate student functions including annual meeting activities, communication activities, identification and recruitment of graduate students to participate in Division L activities, and mentoring activities, in collaboration with the Publications Mentoring Committee.
2. Membership: Membership shall consist of a senior graduate student representative to serve as chair, a junior graduate student representative to serve as vice chair, and a Division L liaison (senior faculty). These two members, appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee, shall represent Division L on the AERA Graduate Student Council.
Section 8: Ad Hoc Committees
1. Functions: Ad Hoc committees may be established by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee to address specific concerns and opportunities that do not fall within the purview of the standing committees as described in the Bylaws.
2. Membership: Ad Hoc committees shall have at least three but not more than five members. Members and chairs are appointed by the Vice President in consultation with the Executive Committee. An Ad Hoc committee will be dissolved by the Executive Committee when, in the Executive Committee's judgment, the assigned task has been completed. An Ad Hoc committee may be reappointed if deemed appropriate.
Section 9: Removal of Committee Members
A motion from the Division L Executive Committee to remove any committee member for cause or for nonperformance of duties shall be circulated in writing to all Executive Committee members thirty days prior to a vote on removal. During this thirty-day period, the committee member in question has the right to respond in writing to the removal motion. A confidential ballot of the Executive Committee members shall be taken and can be conducted by mail or e-mail and handled by a duly authorized agent appointed by the Executive Committee. If the committee member in question is an Executive Committee member, he or she shall recuse himself or herself from the discussion and shall not vote on the motion for removal from the committee. A motion to remove a committee member from a committee shall require a two-thirds majority of the Executive Committee voting for approval. Upon removal of a committee member from the committee, the Vice President shall appoint a replacement member to serve the remaining term of the removed committee member.
Article IX. Division Meetings
Section 1: Scheduling of Meetings
The Vice President shall have authority to set the time and place of all meetings of Division L in consultation with the AERA Central Office where applicable.
Section 2: AERA Annual Meeting and Division L Business Meeting
Except for sufficient reason, there shall be an Annual Meeting of the AERA each year. One session shall be arranged at this meeting for the Division L Annual Business Meeting. The Division L Annual Business Meeting will be a forum for reports of committee activities and discussion of Division L affairs, including a report on Division L financial activities. Any Division L Awards will be presented at the Annual Business Meeting. During the Division L Annual Business Meeting, members of the Executive Committee shall report to the membership. Special recognitions may be presented. Members in attendance shall be considered a quorum.
Section 3: Notice of Division L Meetings
Announcement of time and place of any business meeting of Division L shall be made as far ahead as is reasonably possible. In any case, notice shall be sent to voting members at least three weeks in advance. The time and location of the Annual Business Meeting shall be listed in the AERA Annual Meeting program and in the Division newsletter, and all Division L members and those interested in becoming members shall be invited to attend. Division L program activities will be listed in the AERA Annual Meeting Program and on the Division L website in a format that can be searched, downloaded, and printed prior to the AERA Annual Meeting. The Vice President and Secretary shall also announce the AERA Annual Meeting and the Division L program through additional avenues such as the Division listserv and newsletter.
Section 4: Rules of Order
In all cases to which they apply and do not conflict with the provisions of these Bylaws, Robert s Rules of Order (current edition) shall govern business meetings of Division L.
Section 5: Membership Approval
Items of Division L business requiring the vote of the voting members shall be transacted by e-mail or other means, and must originate from the Vice President or the AERA Council in accordance with Division L Bylaws and in accordance with the AERA Bylaws. It shall also be in order for any member to introduce an item for discussion and consideration at the next business meeting of Division L. A majority vote of members present at the meeting shall be sufficient for submission of an action to the e-mail or other means vote of the entire membership.
A summary of actions taken by the membership shall be included in the Annual Report by the Vice President.
Article X. Finances
Section 1. Dues, Fees, and Assessments
Dues and special assessments for Division L membership shall be governed by AERA Bylaws.
Section 2. Budget
Division L shall receive an annual budget established by the AERA Council that shall govern Division expenditures and be administered under the authority of the AERA Executive Director. The Vice President shall furnish the membership with a report of the approved budget and expenditures on no less than an annual basis.
Section 3. Financial Management and Control
1. All disbursements of funds shall be made with the review and approval by the Vice President or his/her designee. All receipts and disbursements shall be made only through the AERA Central Office.
2. All employees and officers entrusted with financial responsibilities will be bonded, with premiums on the fidelity bonds paid by the Association.
3. The Division shall use funds collected only to accomplish objectives and purposes stated in these Bylaws. No member or group of members shall commit the financial resources of the Division in any manner except as stipulated in these Bylaws.
Article XI. Amendments and Revisions
Amendments to or other changes in these Bylaws may be initiated in either of the following ways:
1. The Division L Vice President or Executive Committee may formulate proposals and submit them with any arguments it chooses to the voting members of Division L for a vote.
2. Any five percent of the voting members of Division L may submit to the Division L Executive Committee a proposed amendment or amendments in writing and signed by the sponsors. The Executive Committee shall then submit the proposed amendment with any arguments advanced by its sponsors and with the Executive Committee arguments and recommendation for or against to the voting members of Division L for action.
3. The Bylaws may be amended by a ballot of the Division L membership that occurs in conjunction with an AERA election or by a special membership referendum conducted by the AERA Central Office on behalf of the division. A two-thirds affirmative vote by those returning their ballots within 30 days of receipt of the ballots is necessary to amend the Bylaws. An amendment to the Bylaws becomes effective upon acceptance unless otherwise specified on the ballot.